09:00:00 <masashi910> #startmeeting CIP IRC weekly meeting
09:00:00 <brlogger> Meeting started Thu Apr  9 09:00:00 2020 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is masashi910. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
09:00:00 <brlogger> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.
09:00:00 <brlogger> The meeting name has been set to 'cip_irc_weekly_meeting'
09:00:06 <masashi910> #topic rollcall
09:00:12 <masashi910> please say hi if you're around
09:00:14 <szlin> hi
09:00:17 <punit> hi
09:00:20 <KaidenPK_Yu_MOXA> hi
09:00:20 <iwamatsu> hi
09:00:23 <fujita3> hi
09:00:24 <suzuki12> hi
09:00:31 <wens> hi
09:00:41 <patersonc> hi
09:00:42 <masashi910> #topic AI review
09:00:50 <masashi910> 1. Combine root filesystem with kselftest binary - Iwamatsu-san
09:01:14 <bwh> hi
09:01:22 <iwamatsu> masashi910: I do not have update to this.
09:01:37 <masashi910> iwamatsu: Noted. Thanks.
09:01:38 <masashi910> 2. Strengthen sustainable process to backport patches from Mainline/LTS - Kernel Team
09:01:48 <masashi910> The current discussion among the kernel team is described in the following document.
09:01:55 <masashi910> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U4-txCx_uofNH7YXc9LgKILdY-BPgb-nYm3DFrs-9Ns/edit?usp=sharing
09:02:00 <masashi910> If you have any ideas, please write down to the document.
09:02:09 <masashi910> so, let me move on.
09:02:16 <masashi910> 3. Upload a guideline for reference hardware platform addition - masashi910
09:02:20 <pave1> hi
09:02:29 <masashi910> Updates can be reported around June timeframe.
09:02:34 <masashi910> so, let me move on.
09:02:41 <masashi910> 4. Identify target boards and configs for RT kernel testing (4.4rt and 4.19rt) - masashi910
09:02:50 <masashi910> Last week, it was decided to identify target boards and configs for RT kernel testing.
09:02:57 <masashi910> I sent out an inquiry mail to ask CIP members to respond by April 16 (Thu).
09:03:04 <masashi910> So far only Renesas (Chris-san) responded. I will follow up at the TSC call next week.
09:03:25 <masashi910> any other topics?
09:03:36 <masashi910> 3
09:03:41 <masashi910> 2
09:03:44 <masashi910> 1
09:03:46 <masashi910> #topic Kernel maintenance updates
09:04:21 <wens> nothing special on my end this week
09:04:31 <pave1> I did reviews on 4.19.114. Sorry for -rt delays.
09:05:13 <pave1> I currently believe that adding patch similar to one we have in 4.19-rt to 4.4-rt is the best way forward, even if I can't test it properly.
09:05:15 <bwh> I reviewed updates to kernel-sec and kernel-config
09:05:48 <iwamatsu> masashi910: I reviewd 4.4.218 and I send to backport patches for 4.4.y to stable ML.
09:05:55 <patersonc> Thanks bwh:
09:05:56 <patersonc> * Thanks bwh
09:06:56 <masashi910> iwamatsu: thanks for adding (CIP) after your name when you sent to the stable ML!
09:07:30 <masashi910> wens, pave1, bwh, iwamatsu: Thanks for your reports!
09:07:47 <masashi910> any other topics?
09:08:05 <masashi910> 3
09:08:12 <masashi910> 2
09:08:15 <masashi910> 1
09:08:18 <masashi910> #topic Kernel testing
09:08:26 <masashi910> patersonc: the floor is yours
09:08:43 <patersonc> Hello
09:08:46 <patersonc> #info Added RT configs for RZ/G1 and RZ/G2 platforms to cip-kernel-config.
09:08:53 <patersonc> #info New USB hubs arrived at Renesas yesterday. I plan to install them later today. Hopefully this will resolve the disconnection issues we currently have.
09:08:58 <patersonc> #info lab-cip-denx is online now, although we're seeing an issue with corrupted u-boot commands on the beaglebone-black board.
09:09:05 <patersonc> #info Started adding support for RT tests, starting with cyclictest, cyclicdeadline and hackbench.
09:09:06 <patersonc> #info Main issue/annoyance at the moment is that the tests use a Python script to parse the results, which currently is missing from the RFS.
09:09:10 <patersonc> #link https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-testing/linux-cip-ci/-/merge_requests/36
09:09:15 <patersonc> If there are any other RT tests that would be helpful please let me know.
09:09:38 <pave1> Thanks a lot for the work on the RT tests.
09:09:54 <patersonc> np, sorry it took so long to get around to it ;)
09:10:07 <pave1> I believe cyclictest+hackbench should be pretty good.
09:10:17 <patersonc> Just let me know if there is anything you want tweaked
09:10:26 <patersonc> (see my comments on GitLab)
09:10:29 <pave1> If we can get numbers on de0-nano, I'll know more.
09:10:39 <pave1> Yes, I need to take a deeper look.
09:11:18 <patersonc> https://lava.ciplatform.org/scheduler/job/14181
09:11:19 <masashi910> patersonc: thanks for your works!
09:11:36 <punit> patersonc: There seems to be a driver for cyclictest - rteval (https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/rteval/rteval.git/). It supposedly generates background load
09:11:37 <patersonc> Btw I'm off on "holiday" next week
09:12:08 <punit> I wonder if it'll help with what you're doing
09:12:17 <szlin> patersonc: stay safe :D
09:12:18 <patersonc> Thanks punit, I'll take a look
09:13:47 <masashi910> patersonc: so, please stay safe. do you have any other topics?
09:14:01 <patersonc> pave1: cyclictest+hackbench on de0-nano-soc board: https://lava.ciplatform.org/scheduler/job/14279
09:14:07 <patersonc> masashi910: Nothing else from me
09:14:26 <masashi910> patersonc: thanks again!
09:14:35 <masashi910> are there any other queries?
09:14:53 <masashi910> 3
09:14:56 <masashi910> 2
09:14:59 <masashi910> 1
09:15:01 <masashi910> #topic CIP Core
09:15:21 <masashi910> punit: the floor is yours.
09:15:58 <punit> Thanks, masashi910
09:16:05 <punit> One of the action items from discussions around Embedded world was target EOL dates for CIP Core components.
09:16:28 <punit> I sent an email to cip-dev to kickstart the discussion!
09:16:48 <punit> Once we have some agreement, I propose to update the wiki to capture this informatoin
09:17:14 <punit> Please let me know if there is any feedback on the topic
09:17:29 <punit> Another item -
09:17:54 <punit> There is a preference to use python3 to the extent possible.
09:18:34 <punit> As python2 is EOL it'll get hard to support it for long term
09:19:03 <punit> The discussion was driven by Security WG query regarding backup software
09:19:25 <punit> That's it from me. Thank you
09:19:27 <yoshidak[m]> Thank you for concluding this, Punit!
09:19:37 <pave1> If I may chime in.
09:20:08 <pave1> It is hard to comment without knowing what exact requirements for backups are.
09:20:33 <pave1> duplicity is complex piece of software IIRC, and it seems somehow interesting to be critical part of core system.
09:20:56 <pave1> python2 to python3 port of large code base will be "interesting" and may need quite a bit of testing.
09:20:57 <punit> I agree - yoshidak[m] had sent an excel sheet with requirements sometime back based on our request
09:21:06 <pave1> (Or you may be lucky).
09:21:49 <punit> But it maybe worth extracting it from the excel to an easier to discuss format
09:22:16 <punit> For the second part, I hope yoshidak[m] can clarify
09:22:52 <punit> btw, upstream has migrated to python3 (also in bullseye)
09:23:39 <punit> So hopefully, the backport is easier. From what I could find, most of the dependencies (except librsync2) are already in buster
09:23:54 <punit> But agreed, somebody needs to take a deeper look at what porting actually involves
09:24:11 <punit> And how to verify the port
09:24:57 <pave1> ...and if it is right for us to do the porting, as opposed to declaring "sorry but CIP can not serve that usecase".
09:25:28 <pave1> ...because CIP normally tries to package well-maintained software and maintain it for years...
09:25:34 <pave1> ...while this is doing cutting edge development.
09:25:59 <pave1> I mean... it will be useful to have duplicity working with python3 as python2 will disappear one day,
09:26:10 <pave1> but I'm not sure if it should be us doing so.
09:26:43 <punit> Good point - it depends on how strong the requirement for duplicity (backup software) is in CIP
09:27:28 <punit> At the least, I would like to see it in buster-backports
09:27:51 <masashi910> pave1, punit: thanks for the discussion. this is very important topic.
09:28:18 <masashi910> and I think this kind of discussion is also initiated in the ML.
09:28:36 <masashi910> we need to continue to discuss.
09:28:48 <yoshidak[m]> I'll clarify the requirement about sytem-backup, and consider the necessity of duplicity as well.
09:29:30 <masashi910> yoshidak[m]: thanks for your comment.
09:29:58 <masashi910> if further discussion is needed, shall we do that after the irc or in the ML?
09:30:48 <punit> My suggestion would be to continue on mailing list to allow people time to research before replying
09:31:02 <masashi910> punit: +1
09:31:35 <masashi910> punit: thanks for your report!
09:31:44 <masashi910> shall we move on?
09:31:48 <masashi910> 3
09:31:57 <masashi910> 2
09:32:00 <masashi910> 1
09:32:02 <masashi910> #topic Software update
09:32:08 <masashi910> Suzuki-san, the floor is yours
09:32:10 <suzuki12> Hello.
09:32:15 <suzuki12> I'm afraid I don't have major updates since last meeting.
09:32:22 <suzuki12> That's it from me.
09:32:37 <masashi910> suzuki12: noted. thanks for your report.
09:32:51 <masashi910> are there any queries?
09:33:00 <masashi910> 3
09:33:05 <masashi910> 2
09:33:08 <masashi910> 1
09:33:10 <masashi910> #topic CIP Security
09:33:17 <masashi910> Yoshida-san, the floor is yours
09:33:33 <yoshidak[m]> We are waiting to get approved the budget to start the gap assessment with the certification body.
09:33:42 <yoshidak[m]> Next governing board meeting will be held at 27 or 28 April, so we are confirming to Exida about the valid period of the estimate.
09:33:53 <yoshidak[m]> In parallel, we started to prepare the documentation for certification.
09:34:13 <yoshidak[m]> Documents created for certification will be the main outcomes from the Security WG for users.
09:34:22 <yoshidak[m]> However, we have just begun to consider what is needed.
09:34:55 <yoshidak[m]> Hope to start discussion w/ Exida soon.
09:34:59 <yoshidak[m]> That's all from me in this week.
09:35:07 <masashi910> yoshidak[m]: thanks for your report.
09:35:16 <masashi910> are there any queries?
09:35:28 <masashi910> 3
09:35:33 <masashi910> 2
09:35:36 <masashi910> 1
09:35:39 <masashi910> #topic AOB
09:35:43 <masashi910> Are there any business matters to discuss?
09:35:54 <masashi910> 3
09:35:59 <masashi910> 2
09:36:02 <masashi910> 1
09:36:04 <masashi910> #endmeeting