IRC logs for #cip for Thursday, 2019-04-11

*** rajm has joined #cip04:13
*** kazu_ has joined #cip06:48
*** toscalix has joined #cip07:33
*** fabrizio has joined #cip07:37
*** tpollard has joined #cip08:33
*** vidda has joined #cip08:58
szlin#startmeeting CIP IRC weekly meeting09:00
brloggerMeeting started Thu Apr 11 09:00:12 2019 UTC and is due to finish in 60 minutes.  The chair is szlin. Information about MeetBot at
brloggerUseful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic #startvote.09:00
brloggerThe meeting name has been set to 'cip_irc_weekly_meeting'09:00
*** brlogger changes topic to " (Meeting topic: CIP IRC weekly meeting)"09:00
szlin#topic rollcall09:00
*** brlogger changes topic to "rollcall (Meeting topic: CIP IRC weekly meeting)"09:00
szlinplease say hi if you're around09:00
szlin#topic AI review09:01
*** brlogger changes topic to "AI review (Meeting topic: CIP IRC weekly meeting)"09:01
szlin#action Send email to Daniel for SW update update - szlin09:01
szlin-> Done09:01
szlin#action Daniel has to upload to the wiki the SW updates tool comparison document09:01
szlin-> Done09:01
szlin#action Send discussion of deby naming to cip-dev - Kazu09:01
kazu_I've just reopened the discussion
*** pave1 has joined #cip09:02
szlinkazu_: thanks09:02
szlinpave1: hi!09:02
szlin#action The review results from Pavel will be confirmed - Iwamatsu-san09:02
szliniwamatsu: do you have any updates?09:02
iwamatsuszlin: I updated a list of review patches.09:03
szliniwamatsu: thanks, have you checked the review result from Pavel?09:04
iwamatsuI started from v4.4.176.09:05
*** sangorrin has joined #cip09:05
szliniwamatsu: thanks!09:05
szlin#topic Kernel maintenance updates09:05
*** brlogger changes topic to "Kernel maintenance updates (Meeting topic: CIP IRC weekly meeting)"09:05
szlinpave1: do you have any updates?09:06
pave1I started pushing patches from patchwork to, yes.09:06
pave1Unfortunately, series from Renesas seem to depend on each other, so it did not go exactly smoothly.09:07
iwamatsuYes, I think so.09:07
szlinI thought this issue has been solved?09:07
szlinor it's still there09:08
pave1iwamatsu: Would it be ok if I took some of patches assigned to you, and applied them, so I could apply more of my list?09:08
pave1szlin: The series do depend on each other. I believe we can figure out how to applie them with iwamatsu.09:09
pave1szlin: If not, we can still ask Renesas to create one big series :-).09:09
patersoncThe guys tend to work together to submit each patch in order.09:09
szlinpave1: thanks for your heads-up.09:09
patersoncProblem with 1 big series is that we'd have to wait for all work to be complete before submitting everything in one go.09:09
patersoncThe preference used to be to submit in chunks to make it easier for the maintainers to process09:10
pave1patersonc: Problem is that we split the work in patchwork according to the series between me and iwamatsu.09:10
pave1patersonc: And that does not really work when series depend on each other.09:10
patersoncI guess you can accept each series, but only apply them in order when the relevant series is ready?09:11
szlinpatersonc: perhaps it can add some notes and thus we can know the relationship between the patches09:11
iwamatsuI wrote in an email, but I think it would be helpful to write dependencies on patch cover letters.09:11
szlinpatersonc: ^ would it be ok?09:13
pave1patersonc: Let me try to figure it out... It should be possible to apply most of the patches, then ask Renesas to retransmit the rest.09:13
patersoncWe can do that for future patches09:13
patersoncLet us know what you need resubmitting.09:13
szlinpatersonc: thanks!09:14
patersoncBut the easiest approach is to apply patches in the order they were submitted. That should work right fabrizio?09:14
pave1patersonc: I believe I tried to do that, too, and it still did not work, but that may have been mistake on my side.09:15
pave1patersonc: I'll try to figure it out, soon, and ask for help on the list if it does not work.09:16
iwamatsupavel: I think that the problem that patch can not apply is solved by reviewed commit.09:17
fabrizioI think we put down the dependencies in the cover letters for most of the series already09:17
fabrizioand we tend to send out series in order of application09:18
pave1fabrizio: I guess that is another problem; I got my patches from patchwork, thus got no cover letters :-(.09:18
pave1fabrizio: That should not be problem in future as I'm now on the mailing list.09:18
szlinany other topics?09:19
fabriziois there any problem series left behind_09:19
fabriziois there any problematic series left behind?09:20
pave1I did not see anything I could not fix up myself during review.09:20
fabrizioso there is no action on us, is that correct?09:20
pave1Well, iwamatsu may have seen something, wait for his reply :-).09:21
fabriziook, thanks09:21
szlin#topic Kernel testing09:21
*** brlogger changes topic to "Kernel testing (Meeting topic: CIP IRC weekly meeting)"09:21
szlinDaniel sent the email to share his trip in Linaro connect09:23
sangorrinyeah, thanks to Renesas for having the lab ready09:23
szlinsangorrin: nice slide09:24
mungaip[m]sangorrin: glad it worked well :)09:24
sangorrinthanks :)09:24
patersoncGlad it went okay :)09:24
szlinpatersonc: do you have any updates?09:24
patersoncWe're still waiting on LF to resolve the link between the CIP KernelCI and LAVA servers. We cannot fix ourselves as we don't have admin access to either server.09:24
patersoncSupport for adding a RZ/G2E board to the CIP lab is ready. We just need to find a spare board...09:25
patersoncAfter Veronika's email on automated-testing, I'm wondering if CIP should just report results back to instead of our own instance?09:25
sangorrinSzlin: it would be nice to know the status of Plathome's lab. I think they were going to add their board.09:25
sangorrinpatersonc: that would be great09:26
sangorrinprobably we'll know better once we are members (if we decided so during the next OSSJ)09:26
szlin#action Ask the status of Plathome's lab - szlin09:27
patersoncsangorrin: Let's hope. There is an action on me to investigate further though, but I'm blocked because CIP's instance isn't working..09:27
sangorrinpatersonc: there is a new version of LAVA. Maybe we should upgrade. It has interactive mode to test u-boot09:28
patersoncI'm halfway through rebasing to the latest lava-docker from KernelCI09:29
sangorrinpatersonc: I think you can test with a local instance (docker compose i think)09:29
patersoncsangorrin: Probably :)09:29
szlinpatersonc: thanks for the update.09:29
szlinany other topic?09:30
szlin#topic CIP Core09:30
*** brlogger changes topic to "CIP Core (Meeting topic: CIP IRC weekly meeting)"09:30
sangorrinI am trying to get ISAR working on my environment now09:30
sangorrinIf we can use ISAR for testing, we will have more flexibility (apt get yay!)09:31
szlinsangorrin: thanks for the update09:32
szlinany other topic?09:32
kazu_I asked if CIP-core needs to decide the supported version combinations of CIP kernel + Debian (See )09:32
sangorrinhayashi-san is writing something09:32
sangorrinoh there you are :D09:32
kazu_I asked Jan about the supported combinations in Isar
kazu_but currently cannot get clear answer about the combination09:34
kazu_In Isar, all CIP kernel + Debian versions (9,10) are now supported in one branch (master)09:34
kazu_In Deby, the supported Debian version depends on the branch09:35
kazu_So, it's hard to share the branch name in cip-core repository at this time09:36
szlinkazu_: I see, so the discussion will be continued09:36
kazu_Yes, I still need to consider what kind of branch names should be used in Tiny profile09:36
szlinkazu_: thanks.09:37
szlinany other topic?09:37
kazu_Also, I need to re-open the discussion about package list supported in CIP in cip-dev09:37
kazu_that's all from my side09:38
szlin#action Re-open the discussion with package list supported in CIP in cip-dev - Kazu09:38
szlin#topic Software update09:38
*** brlogger changes topic to "Software update (Meeting topic: CIP IRC weekly meeting)"09:38
sangorrinSuzuki-san is learning how to use lua handlers in SWupdate and after that will have an online meeting with Christian09:38
sangorrinSWUpdate is not exactly easy to use..09:38
szlinI've discussed the license issue in swupdate with Iwamatsu-san, and I will contact Stefano in these days..09:39
sangorrinif this continues for long, i think we should change to another method09:39
sangorrinthanks for that09:39
szlinsangorrin: thanks for the update09:40
szlinany other topic?09:40
szlin#topic AOB09:40
*** brlogger changes topic to "AOB (Meeting topic: CIP IRC weekly meeting)"09:40
szlinany other business?09:40
patersoncI'm going to be out of the office for a couple of weeks. mungaip will cover in my absence.09:40
szlinpatersonc: thanks for the heads-up09:41
brloggerMeeting ended Thu Apr 11 09:41:53 2019 UTC.  Information about MeetBot at . (v 0.1.4)09:41
brloggerMinutes (text):
*** brlogger changes topic to "Civil Infrastructure Platform Project. Find the logs at"09:41
szlinthank you all!09:41
kazu_Thank you!09:42
fabrizioThank you09:43
pave1Thank you.09:43
sangorrinthank you!09:44
iwamatsuthank you09:44
pave1iwamatsu: it seems I can add SDHI support if I apply "Add SMP/INTC-EX/PFC/GPIO support" series, first.09:48
iwamatsupavel: Yes I know. I wait to reply
iwamatsus/wait/am waiting/09:50
patersoncBiju did mention the dependency in the cover letter of the SDHI series09:50
iwamatsupatersonc: I am waiting about commit message.09:51
patersonciwamatsu: I see. Shouldn't take long.09:51
patersoncI'll try and get Biju online09:52
iwamatsupatersonc: thanks09:52
iwamatsuI am already ready to push to repository.09:52
patersoncBtw, what is already pushed is building fine.09:53
patersonc(with Arm64 defconfig)09:53
pave1iwamatsu: I believe you are right and it should be "architected".09:53
pave1If you have fixed that locally, I'd prefer you simply pushing the resulting tree.09:54
pave1It is not like it matters a great deal.09:54
fabrizioI can confirm, it should be "architected"09:54
patersonciwamatsu: Do you want Biju to submit a v2 for that patch? Or can you fix the commit message when merging?09:55
*** tpollard has quit IRC09:55
*** CTtpollard has joined #cip09:55
pave1patersonc: I was attempting to do some test-builds, too. Is there better config to use than arm64 defconfig?09:55
patersoncWe have submitted a renesas_defconfig to CIP's config repo09:56
*** CTtpollard has quit IRC09:56
pave1patersonc: ok, that should do the trick.09:56
patersoncNo response yet though09:56
*** CTtpollard has joined #cip09:56
iwamatsuBoth OK. But I already fixed comit message in my repository as09:56
patersoncCan someone review/merge?09:56
iwamatsu    arm64: dts: renesas: r8a774c0: Add secondary CA53 CPU core09:57
iwamatsu    Add a device node for the second Cortex-A53 CPU core on the Renesas09:57
iwamatsu    RZ/G2E (a.k.a r8a774c0) SoC, and adjust the interrupt delivery masks09:57
iwamatsu    for the ARM Generic Interrupt Controller and Architectured Timer.09:57
iwamatsu    Signed-off-by: Fabrizio Castro <>09:57
iwamatsu    Reviewed-by: Geert Uytterhoeven <>09:57
iwamatsu    Signed-off-by: Simon Horman <>09:57
iwamatsu    (cherry picked from commit 9b55a05ebfbe41bfb4c2aa98a81a46f2031e599f)09:57
iwamatsu    Signed-off-by: Biju Das <>09:57
iwamatsu    [fix s/Architectured/Architected in commit message]09:57
iwamatsu    Signed-off-by: Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <>09:57
patersonciwamatsu: Great09:57
iwamatsupatersonc: oh,sorry for defconfig. I will check your PR09:58
fabrizioiwamatsu: In the changelog I can still see Architectured09:58
iwamatsumy bad,09:58
iwamatsuI show old commit09:59
patersoncI'm heading out for a bit. See you guys later.09:59
fabriziopatersonc: ciao!09:59
fabrizioiwamatsu: [fix s/Architectured/Architected in commit message] Signed-off-by: Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <>09:59
fabriziothat seems like the new one10:00
iwamatsupatersonc: bye10:00
*** kazu_ has quit IRC10:01
pave1patersonc: bye10:02
*** CTtpollard has quit IRC10:02
*** bijud has joined #cip10:02
*** CTtpollard has joined #cip10:03
fabriziobijud: hey!10:03
*** CTtpollard has quit IRC10:04
iwamatsufabrizio: What should I write about this? [iwamatsu: fix s/Architectured/Architected in commit message] is OK?10:04
iwamatsubijud: hi10:05
*** CTtpollard has joined #cip10:05
fabrizioiwamatsu: [iwamatsu: fix s/Architectured/Architected/ in commit message]10:05
iwamatsufabrizio: OK, I update.10:06
fabriziofantastic, thanks a lot10:06
iwamatsubijud: I would like to talk about
bijudRe: [cip-dev] [PATCH 15/18] soc: renesas: r8a774c0-sysc: Fix initialization order of 3DG-{A, B}10:09
bijudprefer directly including good commit (rather than including bad commit and then fixing it up). Let me try to fix it up.10:09
bijudi was referring to this context.10:10
iwamatsubijud: I understand that if there is a problem with the commit message, it's no problem to fix it. Am I wrong?10:14
*** sangorrin has quit IRC10:14
bijudAuthor is Fabrizio, I believe he don't have any issue in fixing the commit message10:15
iwamatsuaha, OK.10:15
iwamatsuI will fix commit message as below:10:16
fabriziobijud: I can confirm I have no issues with fixing the typo\10:16
iwamatsu   arm64: dts: renesas: r8a774c0: Add secondary CA53 CPU core10:17
iwamatsu    Add a device node for the second Cortex-A53 CPU core on the Renesas10:17
iwamatsu    RZ/G2E (a.k.a r8a774c0) SoC, and adjust the interrupt delivery masks10:17
iwamatsu    for the ARM Generic Interrupt Controller and Architected Timer.10:17
iwamatsu    Signed-off-by: Fabrizio Castro <>10:17
iwamatsu    Reviewed-by: Geert Uytterhoeven <>10:17
iwamatsu    Signed-off-by: Simon Horman <>10:17
iwamatsu    (cherry picked from commit 9b55a05ebfbe41bfb4c2aa98a81a46f2031e599f)10:17
iwamatsu    Signed-off-by: Biju Das <>10:17
iwamatsu    [iwamatsu: fix s/Architectured/Architected in commit message]10:17
iwamatsu    Signed-off-by: Nobuhiro Iwamatsu <>10:17
iwamatsubijud: fabrizio: thanks .10:17
iwamatsupavel: I just pushed to repository.10:19
pave1iwamatsu: Thanks!10:19
iwamatsuI need to eat dinner. Thank you for today. Bye.10:21
pave1Will you mind if I apply "Add VIN/HSCIF pin groups" series?10:22
pave1It is in the middle of patches assigned to me..10:22
fabrizioiwamatsu: Bye!10:24
pave1iwamatsu: That was for you if you are still around :-)10:25
*** vidda has quit IRC10:47
*** mungaip[m] has quit IRC12:11
*** fujita[m] has quit IRC12:11
*** patersonc has quit IRC12:12
*** bijud has quit IRC12:13
*** CTtpollard has quit IRC16:44
*** fabrizio has left #cip17:21
*** toscalix has quit IRC17:40
*** pave1 has quit IRC18:57
*** rajm has quit IRC21:54
*** johnward has quit IRC23:21
*** johnward has joined #cip23:28

Generated by 2.15.3 by Marius Gedminas - find it at!